Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Reflecting on E3 '09

Now that E3 is over I think it's a good time to pick 5 of my favorite and most anticipated games announced.

My top 5 anticipations from E3:

5. Metroid: Other M



Seeing this game for the first time made me very happy. Finally, we get a game that feels like it would come after Super Metroid. I mean, don't get me wrong, the Metroid Prime games are good and all. They just don't feel like the old school Metroid I remember. In Other M, the game has sidescrolling platforming like in the originals, as well as third person platforming, as opposed to the first person view in the prime series. With the alternating dimensional views, this game still feels like it could be hit or miss. I'm hoping hit.

4. Alpha Protocol



This was a game that really took me by surprise. You watch the trailer, and the last genre you expect it to be is an action RPG. Only instead of using traditional RPG combats like swords and magic, your character can specialize in either firearms, hand to hand combat or "spy gadgets". Man, talk about re-inventing the genre.

3. Golden Sun DS



So it's finally here! After taking a 6 year hiatus, Golden Sun plans for its arrival on the Nintendo DS. There isn't really much to say about this game though, as the only information out on it implies that Golden Sun DS is loyal to its predecessors.

2. Project Natal



Personally, I think this was the most impressive demo featured at E3 this year, and if I actually owned an Xbox 360 it would probably be #1 on my list. Once again, there really isn't much to say that the video can't say better. Just watch and be amazed.

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2



I'm actually kind of surprised that this made #1 on my list, because when I first heard rumors of it I wasn't really that excited. I mean, don't get me wrong, I thought Galaxy was a blast. I just didn't think it was that great. Anyone who's played the original will tell you that while being great, the game has its fair share of problems. But enough talking about old games. So why did this make the top of my list? One word: Yoshi! Yes, they're bringing back Yoshi, and it's about damn time. I mean, it seems like every time they put Yoshi in a Mario game it gets significantly better. Let's just hope they don't blow it.

1 comment: