Monday, September 28, 2009

[Game Theory] Tell Me A Story...

Tell me a story...

A story?

Yeah. A story.

Well, what kind?

Hmm... I guess it really doesn't matter. You know, if I knew what kind of story I wanted to be told I wouldn't really need to actually hear it, now would I? I mean, where's the fun in that. Though, I will admit there's more to storytelling than the story itself.

I'm not sure I understand.

What I'm tryin' to say is that it doesn't really matter what you've got to say. It's all about how you say it. After all, a sequence of events can only go so far, and you have to be able to draw the line between mere documentation of an occurrence and truly being able to illustrate it perfectly for others to see.

Take for instance the well known Banjo-Kazooie. Here's a game that truly defines itself through its humor, wit and clever characters, despite having a plot that can be summed up into a few paragraphs. Granted, there are plenty of other great aspects of the Banjo-Kazooie franchise capable of carrying its weight, but many will agree that one of its defining features is that damned bear, Banjo, and his ever so daring friend, Kazooie.

Ahh, I see. So if you've got a weak plot you make up for it with interesting characters and witty humor to distract the audience?

Umm...(this is going to be a headache) Not quite. While it's good to have these things, you still need to have substance. I guess I over exaggerated when I said that your story doesn't matter, but I was making a point. In fact, it's important to have at least somewhat of a story to back these things up, otherwise your game could feel gimmicky.

Here. This time take the example of Chrono Trigger. Chrono Trigger was a great game for its time and is still enjoyed by many, although you might say it started some bad trends in the RPG game industry. Playing Chrono Trigger today might leave you with a bad impression. Especially if it's your first time playing the game. Without some sort of nostalgia to back it, you may find that it feels both dated and downright gimmicky. But what you have to consider is that the only reason Chrono Trigger may appear so gimmicky, is because after its release, countless ripoffs of the game have been produced. These days the use of such concepts as time travel, nonhuman party members and post apocalyptic scenarios are all too common. So despite their appeal to many gamers out there, including me, they can't be relied on to carry a game on their own.

Now do you understand?

Golly gee, that was an awful lot to follow. But I think I get the idea. Thanks to you and your grand wisdom, when I grow up, I'm gonna make games that don't suck!

Ha ha ha... That a boy, Johnny. That a boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment