Friday, July 10, 2009

[Movie Review] Public Enemies

Earlier today I saw Public Enemies, and in retrospect, the title feels a little misleading. Because I have to be honest with you, while I was watching this movie I was totally rooting for the bad guys. Overall I thought it was pretty good and it gave pretty much exactly what you would expect it to.

Set in the Great Depression, the movie depicts the true story of FBI agent Melvin Purvis's attempt to stop major criminals including John Dillinger. And John Dillinger is, hands down, what makes both this movie and the real-life story behind it so fascinating. A lot of things can be said about John Dillinger, but I think the most important thing that could be said is that he was human, and it really shows throughout the film. This isn't the story of an apathetic psychopath or some delusional, drugged up deviant. There are many little things about yourself that you will be able to relate to John Dillinger, even if he is out robbing banks and killing people who get in the way.

There isn't a whole lot more to say without just spoiling the whole movie, because lets be honest, it is kind of predictable what happens as it is. The only other thing I wanted to really address was that Christian Bale didn't suck too bad in this movie. So if that was a concern for anybody out there - and I'm sure it was - then no worries. But man, Johnny Depp really nailed John Dillinger. Great character plus great actor and a story linked to the history of Midwest crime and the founding of the Federal Investigation Bureau equals what could possibly be the best movie of the year.

My rating: 4.5 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment